The NOAA Satellite Observing System Architecture Study Community Day
Thursday, June 21, 2018
This Community Day will be a forum to address questions and hear comments about the NOAA Satellite Observing System Architecture Study draft report released on the Federal Register on May 31, 2018.
This study looks at the choices, alternatives, and tradeoffs that NOAA is considering as it plans for its future operational satellite observing system to follow the current fleet of NOAA satellites.
The development of a future system presents an opportunity to design a modern architecture by broadly examining instruments, services, platforms, and orbits in the context of user needs, new technology, and emerging space business models. As part of the study, NOAA developed and evaluated nearly 100 architecture alternatives, including potential but likely partner and commercial contributions.
As part of the Federal Register Notice , NOAA is asking the following questions:
- Did NOAA consider a sufficiently broad range of alternatives?
- Are the opportunities that the analysis identified as deserving of consideration consistent with your knowledge of the state of the space enterprise?
- Are there outcomes or options that you recommend for further analysis?
- What suggestions do you have on how NOAA can better engage with industry, including approaches for developing innovative capabilities, new partnership opportunities and business models that may inform NOAA’s path forward?
- What suggestions do you have on how we can engage with the academic and research community and other stakeholders to ensure NOAA makes the best use of the outputs of this study?
Following the public event which runs from 9:00 am-10:00 am, NESDIS will host 20-minute one-on-one meetings from 10:00 am-1:00 pm on June 21 at the Silver Spring Civic Center. These meetings will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a one-on-one meeting slot.
Please note: This event will include opportunities for attendees to provide their views to NOAA/NESDIS. However, consensus views from the assembled group are not being solicited by NOAA/NESDIS. To ensure compliance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act, only the individual views, opinions, and recommendations of attendees will be allowed.
Registration for this event is available here. (Note: Registration occurs on a third-party site. You will be exiting this government site to register.)
Thursday, June 21, 2018, 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM (EDT)
Silver Spring Civic Building, 1 Veterans Place, Silver Spring, MD 20910
The Silver Spring Civic Building is easily accessible from the Silver Spring Metro Station. Parking information is available at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/CUPF/Resources/Files/SSCB-Parking.pdf
For any questions regarding this event, please send an email to NESDIS.Community.Engagements@noaa.gov